Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Make a U-Turn

My young son attends preschool a couple of days a week for 1 hour and 45 minutes per blissful, Mommy-time session.  I had been sitting in the car waiting for him, and using that time to read, pray, meditate, and write--valuable time well spent.  This morning I decided to go exploring, as his preschool site is on the opposite end of the county we live in, so it is not an area I spend very much time in usually.  I drove around and around down this country road and that road looking at new, and sometimes old places, for a change of pace.  If I got uncomfortable about the thought of getting lost, I made a U-Turn and went the other way.  If I felt curious about where a particular road went, I turned onto that road and went with it, being sure to be aware of landmarks and direction changes.  It was fun and liberating.  I discovered a walking track a couple of miles from there, which made my journey that much sweeter.

Isn't it wonderful that we have the choice in our lives to dictate which way we go and which path we take?  Even when it seems like we have no choice, we still do have a choice.  If we don't like how things are going in our lives, we have the right to change what is not working.  We can travel a different road in terms of our relationships, our careers, our goals and dreams.  If we don't like how things are, we have the power to make a change, to do something different---anytime we want to, and not until we want to.

Unfortunately, in life there are problems that arise that have no real solution, I know, I live in one every day.  Sometimes if we can't effect change on the actual problem or situation, we have to make the change inside our own hearts and minds.  Sometimes the change is internal, not external---doesn't matter, it's still a change.  Making a change in the way we view an issue is very healthy and can move us from being stuck in emotional pain and guilt, which drain us of our resources and lessen opportunities.

So, if you sense you're on the wrong road or heading in the wrong direction, ask yourself  what you would like to change and what would you like to do differently.  The process may be a bit scary and anxiety producing in the beginning, but most of the time growth does feel that way.  And you may agree that most of the time, in the end, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment