Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dawn

     I never really thought about it or realized how much I like my middle name, until recently.  Dawn, my middle name, was a part of me I just accepted at face value, and didn't really link it to the reality of what it means.  Isn't it funny how little things like that just escape notice sometimes in our lives:  Then, suddenly one day, it's like a sparkle or flash of light catches our eye; an we examine more closely and carefully that commonplace thing, whatever it may be, and discover the underlying beauty it has had all along in our lives.  I realized the dawn represents a new and fresh start each and every day, which happens to be one of the privileges of life that I adore most.  I taught school for almost a decade, before I stared counseling, and one of my favorite things about teaching was the fact that we enjoyed a summer break, and came back each school year for a new and fresh start.  I loved that feeling!  It was like a huge breath of fresh air.  In fact, I've been thinking all week about the teachers and students returning to the classroom for a new year, and how much I miss having a classroom full of eager students to get to know. 
      That is what God offers us each and every morning with the breaking of the dawn, a new start, a fresh beginning, and a precious opportunity to meet Him where we are.  He offers us renewal and regeneration, and hope through His everlasting love and strength.  When we think we can't face another day of missing our children, or dealing with the pain of guilt and shame that often becomes our existence, we are allowing evil to veil and obstruct the dawn's light.  We are missing the gift that is being extended to us through the breaking of a new day, and the shining of a restorative and healing light on our faces.  "The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day," Psalm 4:18.  Ask Him to shine the light of dawn in your heart and fill you with a radiance and warmth that only our Healer can give.  He is faithful to honor our prayers, all we need to do is ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment