Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Innocence of a Child

     One of the best parts of Christmas is seeing the world again through the eyes of a child, especially for those of us with young children.  They are so easily fascinated and captivated, so Christmas, with all of the lights and glitter and gold, is a perfect match for them.  Who doesn't love to see Christmas through the eyes of a child?  

    This morning my youngest son had his preschool Christmas party, it has been sixteen years since my oldest son had his.  They sang two songs in their usual adorable preschool way and we all visited over cookies and fruit and juicy juice.  During the first song, as one of the late comers, a cute little shy boy with the roundest of cheeks, came through the door, one of the girls in the singing group bellowed out, "that's the boy that I hugged!"  and she grinned from ear to ear.  The room exploded in laughter, and we nearly missed the whole second verse of Rudolph the red nosed Reindeer.  How absolutely wonderful that moment was.  

   As I looked at this little red headed doll baby, I thought, "I never tire of seeing the innocence of a child come to life."  How marvelous to love so openly, to embrace so unashamedly, to exchange so unselfishly.  It's the best of us, don't you think.  It's all of us, when we're little, before we learn to judge, or criticize, or label as "good" or "bad."  I wish all of us could be more like that again, don't you?  Then, let's do, okay?

  When was the last time you witnessed the innocence of a child come to life?  Did it make you smile as great as it did me?  I'm betting, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment