Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Continuing the Innocence Theme

I have a calendar that counts down the days left until Christmas that I hang every year on my wall. It has a Santa in the middle with a sack full of goodies, and 25 boxes around the perimeter, denoting the first 25 days of December.  Each day we move the little red painted heart with snowy glitter on top another day closer to Christmas.  My almost 20 year old son loved it when he was little, and now my youngest, who is turning four in another week, loves it too. 
My youngest son is full of mystique and wonder this year looking at the gifts under the tree, and keeps saying, "can I please open my present from under the tree?"  Which, I softly explain that he can't, "because it's not Christmas Day yet."  So, apparently he thought of a way to remedy this problem.   In the true innocence of a child way, he is sure that he can move time with the simple movement of the "snowy heart" on the calendar.  So, since he's ready for it to be Christmas day, he confidently strolled over to the calendar yesterday, climbed up on his backhoe-stencil-painted-wooden-booster step (a gift from me last year), cleverly moved the snowy heart to the number one slot,  and triumphantly announced,  "now it is Christmas day!"  Our whole house cracked up together as we embraced another glimpse of the innocence of a child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment